Pages

a

"I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough."

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tempat jatuh lagi dikenang, inikan pula tempat lahir…


 
Previously, I don’t have any visual memories or whatsoever about the place i was given birth to… Mostly because my parents moved back to Melaka when I was just 8 months… So this is my first time to go back to the small town I was born at…. Lundu, Sarawak

Lundu is a district in Bahagian Kuching in the southwest of Sarawak… Located about 90km from Kuching, one can conveniently (nowadays) travel to Lundu from Kuching using cars etc… It would take around 2 hours to arrive at the town centre…

It is just a small town, but definitely much larger now compared to 20 years ago (according to my parents)… We went to the market to buy fresh vegetables, fruits and local kuih… The prices were incredibly cheap… If you went to Kuching and was surprised with the price of the fresh groceries there, you would drop dead seeing the prices here… We went looking for big prawns but there is none in the market (off season)…

The most important part in visiting Lundu was visiting Hospital Lundu (the hospital I was born in)… It was nothing much, all the building is single-storey but the hospital compound is huge, including the staff quarters… We went to see the maternity ward from the outside (coz I don’t think it is appropriate to visit a hospital like tourists)… And I refrained from taking too many pictures here… huhu… It took me more than 20 years to see this building… Sad isn’t it? But there was no emotional moments here… Just touring around the hospital for half an hour or so…

Then we went to the school my parents used to work in 20 years ago, SMK Lundu… It was the setting of many of my childhood pictures, but still I didn’t remember anything on this school… You can’t blame me, I was few months old then (I wasn’t supposed to remember anything right? huhu)… The school compound was very huge (even larger than the hospital compound), because there are my hostels for students and teachers… It is a rural school and quite far from the housing area and town, so most of the students stayed in hostel…

Later, we went to visit the Siar beach in Lundu (specifically, near Siar Beach Resort and Retreat@Siar)… The beach was pristine and beautiful… Although there were luxurious hotels nearby, there were only a few families enjoying themselves at the beach (maybe due to the poor access road from the main road to the beach)… It was a heaven hidden behind the forest of Sarawak


According to the internet, there is even a golf resort in Lundu now… Wow! For those who love eco-tourism, there is the Gunung Gading National Park nearby… Lundu is definitely developing as a tourism centre, who knows what it will look like the next time I visit it years from now…

Hospital Lundu
SMK Lundu

2 comments:

Polaris Girl said...

ptot la muke ko ala2 cina sarawak.. just kidding.. :D

ezud zaliy said...

both my parents from sini lah, mana nak dapat muka org sana... :P

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails