Pages

a

"I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough."

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sakit gigi... tapi saya pregnant...

A pregnant lady walks into the pharmacy complaining of dental pain, she had came the day before with the same complain and was dispensed with paracetamol only (because of the pregnancy). She complained that her pain did not subside and she wanted to buy something “stronger”…


Menarik x soalan nih?


On the previous day, the patient was not given any NSAIDs such as naproxen (which is commonly given for dental pain) , this is because according to BNF (I left my drug info at Kuantan), the manufacturers suggest that NSAID should be avoided in pregnancy, meaning that it is not totally contraindicated but just to be safe, don’t use it. Giving NSAID to pregnant woman would cause the ductus arteriosus in the fetus to close in the womb (it is supposed to close during birth) leading to certain complications…


I am of the opinion that the patient can be given something like lidocaine spray or lidocaine ointment but the staff is afraid to dispense it (neway, theres no stock of these items in the pharmacy at the time also).


When I referred back, local anesthetics are all lump together in the pregnancy appendix, and the explanation is more on the local anesthetics which are injected to paralyse half the body (for example).. So, is it safe to use lidocaine topical preparation for pregnant women?


Ada sape2 nak jwb soalan nih?…

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails